Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Waking Up and Other Difficult Things (Like Getting Enough Sleep).

One of the greatest things about being in college is staying up ridiculously late. As a result, anyone who has ever experienced a late night in a college dorm knows that there is a price to be paid for the shenanigans that are pulled in the wee hours of the morning. I'm going to do the blog today a little differently, so I hope you like it (but if you hate it I really don't care).

Here are some common problems facing college freshman, and college students in general:

1. "Waking up in the morning is hard because I only got about 2 hours of sleep."

2. "I can't stay awake in class because I only got about 2 hours of sleep."

3. "My sleeping patterns are all messed up because I don't go to sleep until 4 or 5 am."

4. "I hate my alarm."

5. "My roommate gets up earlier than I do and wakes me up because he/she is loud and obnoxious."

6. "I try to go to sleep early, but people always want to watch movies at 2am. and who wants to miss Fight Club because they want to get a few more hours of sleep?"

7. "I hate my alarm."

7. "My alarm hates me."

7. "Why are there three number 7's?"

8. "I procrastinate more because I figure I'm going to be up late anyway."

9. "I'm sick because I only sleep about 2 hours a night."

10. "I'm failing classes because I sleep during them while attempting to make up for lack of sleep from the night before."

Ok, fine! So maybe not all of the quotes were a real person literally saying those exact words, and the yes, the quotes are just there to make it seem more legit, but I bet some college student somewhere said something along those lines (hey, at least I'm honest about the fake quotations!).

I did a bit of research on sleep and college students, and what I found was hardly surprising: "Studies show that only 11 percent of college students get quality sleep." The average college student only gets approximately 6 hours of sleep a night (average means we have to take into account the crazy kids who get 12 hours of sleep a night), and 9 hours is actually recommended for college students. All statistics were found here.

I decided that I'm going to shake it up a little for today's post, I'm not going to tell you what to do for once! I know, I know: how can I resist? I'm going to simply count on the fact that you are a sentient, semi-intelligent human being, and that you can draw your own conclusions about sleep deprivation.

Do whatever you want!

-Dave

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, love the list!
    it's true, sleeps a commodity here. demand is definitely greater than supply! as far as what to do about it, there's really only two solutions i'd consider: coffee and naps (not necessarily in that order)

    keep postin bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My alarm and I have a bad relationship. It's ok... we're trying this new thing called going to bed at a decent hour. I think we're going to be better friends once that starts to happen.

    ReplyDelete