Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Keeper.

So one of the greatest things about college is the ability that everyone has to get involved. Intramural sports is probably the best example of this, and I think that regardless of your athletic prowess if you want to make friends it is simple: join an intramural team.

I am currently on two intramural teams, one is a soccer team, and the other an Ultimate Frisbee team.
It's hard to accurately relay the feeling of being on a team. It's a little like being a part of a family, and I will, by no means, get sappy about it, but it's a truly phenomenal feeling. So you've got friends, competition, and adding in a sure way to beat the freshman fifteen and you've got a recipe for a great time.

One of the coolest things about intramural sports, is anyone can play, as well as learn on the go. For instance, I, like most other typical American children,  played soccer in grade school. I never once played soccer after that point, getting involved with football, and baseball, and Ultimate Frisbee. Then my roommate, Jeremy Atwood, an avid soccer player and fan, asked me to be a part of his intramural team. I was reluctant to say the least, and after much convincing I agreed to play. Now Jeremy is a pretty smart man, because he knew I wasn't really into soccer, and that was mostly because of my lack of ability with my feet. Ha. So anyway, he decided that I would play keeper (goalie) and make use of my hands.

Something clicked. It's that simple. And since then I've played every game at keeper, and had an absolute blast doing it. At the same time, Jeremy had never played Ultimate Frisbee seriously before, and I, being on the Olivet club team decided to get Jeremy into Frisbee before getting to school, and once we arrived we threw pretty much every day. Now Jeremy is on an intramural Ultimate Frisbee team and is looking to play with me on the Olivet club team next year.

So through intramural sports two people got into something they otherwise probably wouldn't even have considered doing.

Intramural sports, it's a keeper.


-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment