Friday, January 14, 2011

Chapped Lips, Chapel, and things like Geology.

Fine. I ripped the idea for the blog from the Relient K song Chap Stick, Chapped Lips, and things like Chemistry; the only problem is I'm not taking chemistry, and I needed to work the new chapel reference in there somewhere. I think it's clever, but what do I know? ...I've mentioned my awful sense of humor before I think? Whatever, that's all totally irrelevant, and only slightly interesting information. Call it a waste of your time, or call it genius, I only care a lot.

It's true; I always get chapped lips in winter. The only thing that saved my lips from total annihilation, was Burt's Bees Beeswax lip balm (no, i'm not getting paid to put that in there, I wish I was though). It is also true that I'm extremely impressed with the new chapel here at Olivet. You probably know this, but it houses the second biggest organ in Illinois. That thing is loud, and i'm pretty sure it's got a bunch of trumpets sticking out of it (plus, it was made in Italy, and that makes it super cool). I am also taking Geology this semester, which so far, has proven to be an extremely interesting class.

Ok, if you've stuck with me so far, I am pretty happy. Why? Because this is the part where I tie all of those seemingly random pieces of information together into one, nice, easily digestible main idea. Lucky? No. That's called good writing people. Or not; you be the judge.

Here you go: my chapped lips represent the end of last semester. Worn out a little, tired, and peeling...ok maybe it's not the "perfect" analogy, live with it. Burt's Bees, if you've never had it, is refreshing, renewing, and tingly; that is the first two weeks of break (the last week was just sort of boring in my opinion). The new chapel represents the new semester, which is exciting, quite large looking, and very loud sometimes. Finally, geology represents new classes, fresh, exciting ideas, and cool rocks...

Ok, I get it Dave, where is the point? Hold your horses, dear impatient reader; the main idea I want you to get out of this is that I'm done with the last semester, I'm in the puppy dog love stage with this new semester, and maybe I wanted you to waste your precious free time reading this blog. Look, God makes all things new. That means me. That means you. That means this new semester. So, as you look at all of the hope this new semester offers you, also keep in mind that while you can talk all you want about change, unless you allow God to work in you, everything in your life will remain stagnant; you'll just go in circles. God promises to make all things new, and that should be outrageously encouraging.

So happy new semester, friends: here's to change.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment