Thursday, November 11, 2010

Room and Bored.

Yes, that is an awful pun.
No, I will not change it.
Yes, sometimes (most of the time) I think I'm funny when I'm not.
No, thankfully for you I do not want to be a comedian when I grow up.
Yes, sense of humor can make or break roommate relationships.

So you are sitting there going "whoa!" How'd he go from his terrible sense of humor to something as serious as roommate relationships? And how does humor have anything to do with that? Well, if you've ever lived with anyone in your life, you know how annoying a sense of humor can become over time. People have definite preferences when it comes to humor, and sometimes you will just naturally think that the other person's sense of humor is stupid. They might think the same about you.

Personally, I have had an awesome experience with my roommate. Jeremy and I just click humor-wise, and in pretty much every other way as well. So if you've heard the rumor that being roommates with your best friend always destroys the friendship, I would like to humbly submit that it's working pretty well for Jeremy and I.
A quick background on Jeremy and I, we grew up together went to the same church, and kindergarten and pre-school. We've been friends our entire lives, played in a band together, and so when we decided to go to Olivet, it was the natural choice to room together. I was repeatedly warned that our friendship would be torn apart from living together. Today, our friendship has never been better. I plan on rooming with Jeremy as long as he'll put up with me.

So I guess I have two things to say: roommates, you've gotta choose em' wisely, and make sure you can not only enjoy being friends with them, but understand fully the implications of living with them, and all of their quirks and strange ideas about humor. You CAN live with your best friend as long as you can figure out your differences, capitalize on your similarities, and forget about their stinky socks molding in the corner of the room. The same goes for those of you who are trying out the roommate lottery.

I hope this was encouraging,


-Dave

1 comment:

  1. madi and i rooming is the same way!
    everyone said that us rooming together would ruin our friendship, but we have the same sense of humor, hang out together with the same people, and like the same things. and it's working out beautifully!
    we are proof that best friends can live with each other.
    i hope madi and i room together for a loooong time.

    i liked this blog. it's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete