Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Top Snack Foods (and drinks) for the Fairly Famished College Student.

Yeah, I know, it is a pretty long title today; maybe that is because I needed to balance things out since today's blog post will be short and (literally) sweet. With that said, I will do my usual little sarcastic commentary on some of my thoughts about life, but did you really expect any different? Be honest, some of you only read this because you think I'm stupid funny. That's what I thought. See? I know what's up, you can't fool me with your ambiguous (albeit low) page views per week. Regardless, as I promised in my last blog, today I will put my two cents in about the top snack foods college kids can enjoy without taking out another loan dedicated to snack food.

First, I think it is important to remember that the foods I recommend may or may not be good for you nutritionally. It is also important that you have a fridge with a freezer, as well as access to a microwave. (Disclaimer: no particular order, that way you have to look through the entire list and you spend more time reading my blog! I also put an asterisk next to my personal favorites) Let's begin!

-Cereal: the most basic of all college staples, cereal is versatile, delicious, provides a good boost in the morning, and is fast. Just add milk.*

-Popcorn: a rather obvious choice, because of its movie capabilities, it is also a good snack to share with your roommate at night.

-Chips: also pretty obvious, I avoid chips unless necessary to fend off extreme hunger. These also can be fairly pricey, once you compare amount of food per dollar to most other snacks, so watch out; 1.00$x? adds up!

-Freeze pops: Cheap, effective, delicious. There's not much more you need to know about freeze pops to realize that they are the epitome of the college snack food.*

-Coffee: Definitely necessary for many of you who like to stay up all night and don't want to crash and burn in 7am classes.

-Lemonade mix: Another interesting, cost effective, and easy way to break up the monotony of water, (if you're poor) or provide an alternative to pop (if you're loaded).

-Sandwich materials: Self-explanatory, and very good for you, although may be a bit pricey.

-Peanut butter: grab a spoon and enjoy.*

-Tea: Are you down with the sickness? Drink some herbal tea, and avoid those Arnold Palmers!

-Apples and Bananas: I like to a-a-a-apples and bananas!

-Energy bars: Notice that I am not putting energy drinks here, similar name, very much worse for you!

-Animal crackers: What college student doesn't love biting the heads off of their least favorite animals!?*

-Yogurt: Helps prevent sickness, and is very healthy.

-Oat meal: Need a hot meal? Add brown sugar and milk for extra awesomeness.

-Trail mix: For those of you who either like nuts, or are nuts. Good energy boost!

-Pretzels: Delicious, and filling, not to mention relatively cheap.

-Pop Tarts: Eat in the morning after rolling out of bed with 3 minutes to get to class. Breakfast? Check.

-Mac and cheese: Need I say more?

-Canned soup: Another hot meal candidate, also very cheap!

So does the list remind you of anything? Yeah, the basics are all the types of foods you donate to homeless shelters. This is college living. Enough said.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment