Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chicago, and Giant, Distorted Beans.


A bunch of friends and I took the train up to Chicago a couple of days ago, and it was really a good experience. I always think it is interesting to go to the city and sort of marvel at your own insignificance. you can look around and I think, take it one of two ways: the natural response is probably to wonder about your value, and about your place in this enormous world. The other, probably less natural response is to take our experience in stride, and gain a little perspective from the deal.

We took the train down, and in about an hour were standing in Millennium Park; if you've ever been to a huge city like Chicago you will better appreciate it when I try and convey the massive number of people all around. there were swarms of people; most taking the train to see the very same festival of lights that we were, and it was packed. After a quick bathroom break, and a reminder to the Chicagoan newbies to stay close to the group, we headed out.

We walked straight into Millennium Park. I don't know if you've ever seen Millennium Park before, but it is simply gorgeous. Even in winter the park was alive with energy that only be found in a city of over two million people. We did the tourist bit for a while, showing the newbies the many attractions of Millennium Park and with that, of course, comes the Bean. 

I really wonder how many pictures have been taken in front of, underneath, or next to the Bean. It is such a landmark, and while it may not be a marvel of architectural genius, the simplicity of design, and the concept of the Bean really shines through. The thing that really makes it interesting? Not the fact that it's a mirror, not even that it's huge, I think it's because people enjoy the way the Bead distorts reality. 

And so of course that got me thinking, how do we look at life? I won't spend much time analyzing the different ways we view things, but I really wonder how much we end up distorting our perceptions just based on who we are. I think I want to leave you with that question; how much do we distort our own reality? I hope you find it an interesting thought, and in the end know that the best that it can really do is make us a little more conscious that we do distort things according to our personal bias. 

So next time you see the Bean in Chicago, or maybe if you notice a cracked or bent mirror, take a second to think about your own distortions.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment